Sunday 13 January 2013

I Blog for Mother Earth News

If I could figure out how to make this part of my regular template or watermark to the template I'd do it, so if anyone who reads this has a good idea, let me know.

I've done a few blogs for Mother Earth News.  I started reading and enjoying  this publication back near its beginning.  I'm sure I was an avid reader by the late 1970's.  But like many things that were good and useful, I managed to leave it in the background while working hard at a career, having and raising children, getting married again, moving to Australia and just being distracted by other things.

Then we got involved with the property around which this blog is based and while in a Tractor Supply store in a nearby town, spotted a copy of my old "friend".  It was the same, only better and I immediately started up a conversation with various people there and that led to Bryan Welch and various editors on staff.  The notion of someone at my stage in life - retiring after working during five decades in the computer and IT industry - going back to homesteading and developing something (hopefully) special around a piece of property that's never been used previously for growing anything other than whatever grew there naturally, seemed interesting so I've started contributing a small amount of blog material to a blog entitled City to Country, One Step at a Time.  Go to:

www.motherearthnews.com

Click on the blogs tab (left side today when I wrote this) and just click "next" until you see the blog with the above title.  Click on that and you'll find the contributions of more than one blogger on various subjects about making the break from City to Country.

We've made many small steps over the last few years and it seems almost impossible that within the month, I'm going to make the big step - a one-way ticket from Melbourne to San Antonio.  Another hour in the car from there and I'll be on the homestead - this time without the clock ticking loudly in my ear (although I suspect I'll always hear that darned clock) telling me I have only X days left before I have to get things wrapped up and back on an airplane to spend another 6-12 months or so in Australia before I can come back and do it again.

This time, it is for good and I'm delighted.

I think it also means that I'll have a fair amount more time to spend doing things like this - the personal blog and the Mother Earth News Blog.  And I figure there will be a heck of a lot to write about.  Especially as opposed to now where I spend scant little time during each week devoted to the subjects I've really grown to love - sustainable living and growing and raising much of our own food and complimenting that by obtaining the rest of the food from local farms and suppliers as much as possible rather than being constantly tethered to the local supermarket (heck - I'm older than the supermarket concept to show you how new that one is) to bring me food from thousands of miles away.

I'm proud to have some very small association with a group of people I've met only briefly during our October visit to the US but who I believe have an excellent mission of helping all of us live better lives.

If you aren't a subscriber to and fan of Mother Earth News (and its related publications), check them out.  I think you'll find something fun, education, inspiring and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment